Looks like I have some bloggin’ to catch up on! Yesterday morning had me craving something sweet and filling…and oatmeal easily fulfills that task! Oats are high in fiber and help lower cholesterol…and taste good. Always remember to use rolled oats and not quick! I’ve been inspired by Kath over at Kath Eats Real Food because she always has such great looking oatmeal! Check out her “Tribute to Oatmeal” page for lots of tasty variations!
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal with Sliced Raw Almonds, Chia Seeds and Wheat Germ
- 1 apple, chopped
- Lots of cinnamon! 1-2 tsp
- 1 tbsp of your favorite sweetener (i.e. honey, agave nectar, etc)
- pinch of salt
- Nutmeg, cloves, or pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup almond milk (or water or any non-dairy milk you prefer)
- Any toppings you like. In this case I used sliced raw almonds, chia seeds, wheat germ
Throw chopped apple + spices + sweetener into a saucepan. Let cook for a minute or two…then add rolled oats, stir, and add the almond milk. Bring to a low boil and let simmer for about 15 minutes (though everything takes longer at high altitude!) or until you have your preferred consistency. Top with tasty things and enjoy in your favorite dish (in my case, in my UGLY mug!)
Yum. So many different things you can do with oatmeal! This made enough to split between two people (I get so full after eating oats).
I had some green bell peppers sitting on the counter form the farmer’s market this past weekend and they were just on the brink of being too far gone, so I had to use them! I was able to whip this meal up in under an hour. Lots of protein from the quinoa and a variety of veggies make this a healthy, hearty dinner.
Quinoa-Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4-5 Bell Peppers, tops cut off and seeds/innards cut out
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (or use fresh!), not drained
- Small can of sweet peas
- Small can of sweet corn
- 1/2 medium sized zucchini squash, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder (I LOVE GARLIC)
- Vegan shredded cheddar cheese (highly recommend Daiya brand)
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Parboil the bell peppers for 5 minutes, drain and set aside. Sprinkle a bit of salt on the inside of each pepper.
Prepare quinoa per your brand’s instructions. Add diced tomatoes, peas, corn and chopped zucchini. Mix spices in!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an oven-safe dish (PYREX IS AWESOME), place bell peppers upright. Carefully spoon the filling in. About halfway, add a layer of shredded cheese. Continue to fill up to the top and then add more cheese! Breadcrumbs would be tasty too. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until everything is looking cheesy, goopy and delicious.
- Want more protein? Add some black beans to the mix! Cilantro, jalapenos, onion and cayenne pepper would make this a great spicy dish!
- No quinoa? Use rice or couscous!
- Looking for a meaty version? Add your favorite veggie crumbles, like Gimme Lean!
Yesterday was tasty, I must say. So glad it’s FRIDAY! Most likely going GARAGE SALE-ING (sailing? yes. like on a boat.) tomorrow to try and find some interesting things. Estate sales are the best! Just have to weed through all the crap to get to the good stuff. Happy Friday!